Check out my shop :]

Featured Post

Abrasion

Sometimes, an abrasion hurts the most. That thin film of skin scraped from the flesh. That stinging wound too shallow to trigger blood....

Tuesday, February 6, 2018

The Dark and Fascinating World of Philippine Mythology

I have always been the person who yearns to escape from this reality. The toil of living in it every day is overwhelming and exhausting. It suffocates me. That is why I seek refuge in other realities---books, movies, and fiction in general. This desire for escape is probably the reason why I’m drawn to Philippine myths and legends. Most Filipinos are crazy over  mythos from other countries that they disregard the beauty and magic of their own mythology.


Philippine mythology is more than the aswang that hunt for intestines and unborn babies. It is much more than the clichés movies and television feed to the masses. There is a rich culture behind the tales and legends whispered to us when we were kids. Yes, our parents might have used them to keep us from staying out late. (I read this study that Filipinos use fear as a form of discipline. And hell, it’s effective!) But once I’ve resigned myself to the realization that there's nothing I can do about the dark and the creatures that lurk in it, these stories about engkanto and other lower mythos have become my salvation from the endless torture of the mundane. 


Call me crazy, but I choose to believe they exist. This magical reality---which consists of dark, beautiful creatures hidden from our consciousness---is far more exciting than taxes and 9-5 work schedules. So, why can’t I succumb to its seductive charm?

No comments:

Post a Comment